09 May 2014

[talk: Annointed Excellence.]

I am so excited to be apart of the worship team this Mother's Day morning.  Really.  Like SUPER excited.  That may see strange for those of you who know me ... and know that I've been leading worship at my home church longer than some of my team members have been alive.

Ouch.

Ok ... not quite ... but you get the idea *grin*.

God keeps renewing my passion and zeal for bringing others into His presence.  I live for worship - it's in my DNA ... it makes me complete.  I was - we all were - created to worship Him.  There is no other place, no other thing, that could replace the joy from doing just that.

I recently had an experience where a past friend came to a Sunday morning service, someone who had never been before.  I happened to be leading that morning, and they were lovely and complimentary when they spoke with me later on.  But fast forward a bit - through a different conversation - it was said that they wouldn't return because, "if they wanted to see a rock show - they would rather pay for it."

Ouch again.

My BIGGEST fear in worship services, is trying to balance excellence and anointing.  Everyone who is up on stage, wants to do their best.  We meet the Thursday evening before the service, we rehearse and talk and support each other.  We arrive and set up by 8am on a Sunday morning, often staying until 12:30pm for the end of the second service.  They are dedicated and want to to their best.  And they NEED to ... we require it of them.  Mistakes can be distracting and disastrous.  BUT.  As soon as it's perceived that it's a performance - then something must change.

But let me say this as well:  I cannot change the hearts of others.  Only God can, when they LET him.  No worship service will please everyone ... there are always the critics and I know that.

But - for those of us who are leading together, I think it all comes back to our hearts.  Repenting of control, of ego, of self-awareness.  I find myself already in a state of constant, "Lord - take me OUT of this equation.  Put Yourself in it."   It's a freeing place to be - where my lack of ability is made up with His incredible love and mercy.  

This Sunday, I'm doing a "new" song.  It's not really new - but I've been hesitant to do it because on the album ... well, it's spectacular.  Musically, vocally, technically - spectacular.  But our worship isn't a show - it's different than an album.  But as I've waited for the right time to do this song, I go over the words again and again ... and I know that this is the time to do it ::

"Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders,
Let me walk upon the waters,
Wherever You may call me.

Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander,
That my faith would be made stronger,
In the presence of my Saviour."

May we all check our hearts as we enter corporate worship this Sunday, wherever you may be - wherever you worship.  That your participation isn't based on anything but Your desire to engage with the Creator.  That spectatorship, that emotionalism, that anything OTHER than pure worship would be swept away from our hearts.  I pray that He will meet you - that your faith would be made stronger in the presence of your Saviour.

Have a great one!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bravo and encore!! ..oh wait, those are performance terms.. I'm right in the same place you are friend!! ..and I'm going to add that comment to my list if "confounded compliments" ..one that someone told me a while back was "wow, worship was GREAT today!" and I replied with "thank you" and the answered "ya, it wasn't all about the music like it usually is" ..and I was like "wait, what?!" (sigh)